July 15, 2008

Camping on the Guadalupe - Fourth of July Weekend



What better way to celebrate Independence Day than not bathing for 2 days, sleeping in a tent, eating hot dogs and floating the river? That is exactly what we did for the 4th of July this year. We packed our tents and headed out on a 2 day camping excursion. I thought I was a hard core camper but apparently after 2 days without a shower in 200 degree heat, I can turn into quite a baby. I guess we know what I am made of. Anyway, most of the trip was fun. We grilled, hung out with great friends, floated the Guadalupe, had drinks, made smores and witnessed a crazy man being arrested right in front of our tents at 3:00 a.m. in the morning. The camp site was packed and we awoke to screaming kids at 6:00 in the morning. I did learn one thing from this experience. I am in the wrong profession. I am going to go into the campsite shower business. This place charged for showers! That's right - you heard correctly. One dollar for 6 minutes! And trust me you are willing to give up your life savings after about 2 sweaty nights in a tent. I had fun but could not WAIT to return to my king size bed in the city. Ahhhhh....there is no place like home.

1 comment:

Paige and Russ Atkins said...

Yay! You did sooo good! I am so proud you mad ea blog! Now we can laugh at each other's crazy moments, and capture the thoughts in pictures to share with the world.

I tried the no shower camping ONCE, and jumped into a freezing cold stream naked to wash my hair, what a horrible time. I think it was over for me when I had to start looking for a tree to pee behind. No thank you. I am so not a camper, either.